Fresh vegetables add texture and make this pasta dish a nice hearty meal without adding calories.
Mixed Vegetables with Penne Pasta
I love this pasta dish. The vegetables make it a nice hearty meal without adding calories. To further reduce the calorie count, you can use a little less ricotta – but it’s really quite good with it. And much better for you than spaghetti & meatballs!
- 1/4 cup olive oil extra virgin
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 small red onion
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes cayenne pepper can be substituted
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1 lb penne pasta dry
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- Heat a large pot of water for the pasta, adding salt & a dash of oil to the pot. Cook the pasta according to the directions while the veggies are on the stove.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1/4 cup of the oil.
- Add the eggplant and a good helping of salt.
- Cook, stirring constantly until the eggplant is golden brown and tender. About 5-6 minutes, then set aside in a bowl.
- Using the same pan, reducing the heat to medium. Add 2 tbsp olive oil.
- Add the onion, red pepper flakes. Cook until the onion is tender – about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and season with additional salt. cook until they start to break down, about 3 more minutes.
- Add the garlic and stir into the tomatoes until it becomes aromatic.
- Return the eggplant to the pan, and toss with the basil.
- Cook 1-2 minutes until the eggplant is heated through.
- Serve over penne pasta & sprinkle with the parmesan cheese. Garnish with Basil.