The orange brandy brings out a brightness to the chicken with fresh zucchini and red peppers to add color and crunch.
Chicken with Orange Brandy Sauce
This refreshing orange chicken dish has the perfect kick from the brandy. Serve it with brown rice or whole wheat pasta for a healthy summer meal sure to please.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2/3 cup orange brandy
- 2 tbsp flour
- 4 oranges
- 1 zuchinni
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 onion
- 2 tbsp fresh tarragon
- 2/3 cup ricotta cheese
- salt & pepper
- Heat the canola oil with 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet.
- Brown the chicken on both sides.
- Add the orange brandy over the chicken and cook for about 3 minutes, scraping the pan frequently.
- Sprinkle the chicken with flour and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, start the rice or pasta.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the juice of one orange. 2/3 cup orange juice can be substituted here.
- Add the zucchini, onions and bell pepper. Simmer for another 5 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
- Peel the three remaining oranges, divide into segments and add to the pan.
- Zest 1 orange over the cooking chicken dish.
- Add the ricotta cheese and tarragon and cook for 3 minutes stirring gently.
- Pour the heated chicken mixture over the rice or pasta & serve.
You can substitute a dry white wine for the brandy if none is available. Or if you prefer to cook without the alcohol, use chicken stock or more orange juice in its place.